Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you know when to begin?


Back in March, my wife Stephanie began a 90-day challenge, in which she committed to working out for 90-days, culminating with the Portland, ME Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5K race. She utilized the couch to 5K program and various Jillian Michael's videos and I was so proud of her. She lost 15 pounds during her 90 days and got down to her ideal weight. During her time, she blogged about it here. I half-heartily completed her 90 day challenge with her, improved my fitness some and ran the race with her, which was one of my proudest moments of her. But I wasn't committed, didn't lose any of the 15 pounds I've put over the last several years, and by and large did not shock my body.

Fast forward to present - My wife is pregnant with our fourth child, and while she has not been working out, she has supported me and I recently decided I'm ready to shock my body and push it through a 90 day challenge. She encouraged me to blog about it, so here I am, writing my first blog post ever. I'm not blogging for any notoriety, but more for accountability. If no one reads this blog, and it motivates me to workout on a day I might take off, or work an extra ten minutes, then this blog is a success!

So about me: I'm a 36 year old guy's guy who borderline obsesses over fantasy football, love any good sporting event, never had a beer I didn't like, and all in all just enjoy a good time. I am an athlete, I've just gone dormant the last few years due to life.

I don't have a culminating event like a 5K race, but I do have some goals:

1. Run a sub 7 minute mile (just one)
2. Run a 5K in under 26 minutes
3. Gain control of my diet (more on that later)
4. Workout five days per week

I thought about when I should begin this challenge, and was going to start November 1st, but once I committed, I couldn't sit around waiting to begin. There is never a good time to begin, and I think this is people's biggest challenge. The inertia it takes to overcome years of a sedentary lifestyle is daunting, and is probably the biggest reason for failure. So I jumped right in and started working out several days ago; here is a summary of my workouts so far (click on image for a larger view):











No comments:

Post a Comment